Sunday, April 27, 2008

Orem Nursing Home


For the past 7 months I've been trying to wrangle groups together in order to go singing at the Orem Nursing Home. My summer ward in Condo Row did this at a nursing home in Provo, off of State Street. It was such a neat experience that I decided to try and get my new ward to enjoy in the experience as well. Although with such busy schedules in those among my new ward, I found better success in grabbing friends from work, previous wards, and home instead. It's honestly such a good feeling getting to go sing to the elderly; they appreciate the time you take from your busy day to help break up their monotony. Such wonderful friends have been made there. Leroy Gibbins was one of my favorite residents who sung in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for many years and sang with us up until he passed away. Anna Mae loves her books and requests upbeat hymns only; Jay always request hymn number 193 with a bright smile; Irene Tovansen is from Sweden, 93, and loves to conduct us; Jean is hard of hearing but greatly appreciates that we would spend such time with her, bringing in a beautiful spirit with us; John has the most beautiful, welcoming, cheery hello for everyone; Lavee loves "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and is wonderful to patiently listen to our struggling with this song; Her roommate Bonnie requested "Somewhere, My Love" - which we also struggled through but sang beautifully this last time; Norma Naylor has a such a cheery complexion and manner about her that if I am half as bright as her when I am that age I will count myself blest. There are so many more with so many other beautiful stories. I love the opportunity to blend the age gaps. In the eternal perspective, our physical ages are but trivial things and they should not hinder or impede our ability to build friendships of love between our fellow men. It's amazing what we can learn in our selves when we step outside our comfort zone and experience life through people's eyes and with other people by our side.

2 comments:

Devin and Megan said...

Hey nic fun you have a blog. Check out ours. dmroberts.blogspot.com

Samye said...

Update with your travel stuff soon please!!

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out" - Louis Armstrong