Monday, May 5, 2008

Jerusalem


Alright, so I've done very poorly on filling the blog out... not gonna lie though, it was difficult trying to sort through the Hebrew writing just now in order to find where to post this new blog.

Anyhow, Sam, I'm taking your advice and just going to go on a stream of consciousness so please no minding the structure at all.

It's truly beautiful here and I really love getting to spend time here. Here's a journal entry I typed up on May 1st:

It's been interesting being here in Jerusalem. For some strange reason I don't feel as though I am in a foreign land. This might be attributed to my traveling to other countries but I haven't grasped that the different architecture all made of limestone, the different languages being spoken all around me, the two warring factions living with each other and yet apart, that all this should be foreign to people from a land that is relatively free from strong political shifting turbulence, English is the predominant language spoken everywhere, and all the houses are made of different material, different looks - part of our culture is to choose what type of large spacious edifice you want to live in and what type of unique design caters to your taste. I think what has catered to me is that they are people just like me. They eat food that I am not completely foreign to; with the relations the Jerusalem Center has built up, the people are relatively friendly and greet us with smiles and hellos; they have their problems in theft and assault that even Pleasantville Provo has. I believe the most shocking to me is how much like home it will feel to me, faster than I will justifiably be able to identify that home-comfort-security feel in myself. I love this land. It is rich with life. As was stated in one of our classes - it is rich with culture. This is a beautiful day to be alive!


As you can tell from the picture above, we have been trying to catch up on this thing called jet lag but I don't know if I've quite got it down yet. For some reason, the first time in my life, I had a difficult time going to bed the other night and spent 2 hours more than I wanted to up, mind racing with so many things all about me... my roommates have similar sleeping habits to mine (and if you know me well enough to understand this last comment... it's slightly frightening) but the last few nights have been bad between not being able to go to sleep and working on homework till the early hours. The picture just above is the first glimpse we had of the Israeli coast from the plane.


This is the view from my porch on the 4th floor, we live on the Mt. Olives... I believe, it's right next to Mt. Scopus (I know this because Hebrew U is right on the jogging path I set together - on top of Mt. Scopus). The view is phenomenal here... just about anywhere you go though so it's basically one of those medicinal treatments for urban sick eyes. To get an update here's what I've been up to for the past week that I've been here... wow... tomorrow morning makes a full week...hmmmm... and so much has already happened.


We've been on either tours provided by the "mobile classroom" (i.e. our teacher is our field guide, touring parts of the land... while we take avid notes... if you've ever seen the freshman with the headphones on walking around the HBLL at BYU Provo for their English class - that's what we look like: 40 students with headphones in mass groups around one figure point, looking where he says look, listening to everything over his headset due to our size), groups have gotten together to go see things (I'm part of the in-Jerusalem-committee... basically I'm utilizing my loud voice and love to plan things for seeing the city in all different aspects that it holds), as well as just a few of us going out to go see things (of course never less than the required 3 people.. and I usually prefer a guy in the group. Let's just say that it's similar to Mexico except slightly altered - different culture so no catcalls but definitely interesting individuals). On our last tour we were able to see where Bethlehem is (it's in the background valley)-we've been to the Agusta Victoria Tower (/hospital/chapel), Judean Plain, Naabi Samwill (Prophet Samuel's grave), The Church of the Holy Sepulcher (one of the holiest places viewed in Christendom),

I walked the Via Delorosa where it is thought Christ made his way with the cross until Calvary at night with some friends and then again in the day time in order to go into the different stopping sites such as the Church of Flagellation, the Old City bazaar (just about everyday too), Golgotha (where they think it is), the Garden Tomb (both these last two on our Shabat - church services which fall on Saturday)



Today we went to the Haredim District which was quite interesting. It's the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish sector where the men have banana curls, wear knit kippah or hat, black coats (in all seasons!), and have a very different society than what we are accustomed to. I felt the most safe in this district than I have around many of the areas where many men are because we received very few stares (it's not in their societal ways to stare or catcall) but the people were very distant.


The experiences here will last for some time I believe. The friendship I've built with the money changer Alladin (he's who the Jerusalem Center students usually go through - we were joking around for a good 10 minutes while he was able to do probably only 2 transactions!), the interesting nature some of the sellers have towards tourists (negatively - grossly inflated prices) or from the positive air given because they just want to build a good reputation (allowing a lower price settlement and giving us a few more trinkets as we're leaving as it is), and the amazing people I am on this study group with will last me quite some time. I was able to learn everyone's name within the first 48 hours (although I still have a few slips here and there) enabling me to be friends with so many wonderful people and get to know more people on an intimate basis. The ages are from 19 to 26, predominantly 23ish allowing for a good maturity to the group on average (hey, we still know how to be kids though). I love the friendships developed and the amazing qualities of people here.


I truly have felt the spirit when I realize that God loves EACH OF US. That means although we have our quirks that are not exactly easy to live with at times, if that ignorant attitude is done away with we're able to remember that God loves all equally and so we shouldn't be the ones to judge how much we should love one over another. Honestly. I love this place so much and I'm starting to feel the place speak to more as I try to learn more and more. We learned the other day that the only way to be humble is by loving yourself fully. Not in a prideful manner but in the way God loves you. If this inward ability is accomplished, an outward change is developed and all negative light dissaporates from your mind. I've never had a real problem with self-confidence but I'm really seeing by loving others, I'm loving myself more. By not worrying about things or letting things get to my head, I'm loving myself more. By trying to do everything I'm supposed to, I'm loving myself more. Everyone needs the opportunity to talk to someone in need of a good, intimate conversation each day... oh, and 3 hugs a minimum each day too. Even if some things are forgotten at the end of the day, at least you feel accomplished for having forgotten yourself for a moment and having used your personal abilities in someone else's benefit. I love.

1 comment:

Alee said...

this is a very pretty picture of the city. YOu are agreat photographer!!A

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out" - Louis Armstrong