Thursday, May 8, 2008

Joshua, son of Nun

For today, although it is the Israeli 60th Independence Day, I had just too much work to catch up on (still do actually) and too much to do before Shabat and the Egypt so I decided to stay in Jerusalem while half the group decided to go to Tel Aviv and join in festivities there. I did get out to grab some Egyptian Pounds (not worth much - about 5.3 to $1 without commission), see my olive wood trader friend (I'm his "sister" now - I like him and I think that although he doesn't have extremely good quality, I'll be able to get a fair exchange when I do actually purchase) across the way from Shaban's Ali Baba shop in the bazaar (which was slightly -understatement - crowded today due to the holiday I suppose), grab a falafel with Bryan and Randy, and... oh, grab some bug repellent, travel size, so we don't end up get nasty bulbous, yellow pustules in Egypt. Before we braved the crowds, there was good study time going on, catching up on some of my Old Testament reading. Here's a thought that really hit me that I emailed to my friend Caleb Vandehueval
====================================================================
Man though, I've loved getting to study and learn so much about the Bible this... past week? I have only 7 more weeks left but no worries - my schedule is definitely jammed full between sporadic 2 hour classes, field trips in the "mobile classroom", and our excursions as students into the city to learn more about it with each other. Between learning about Mount Moriah (Jehovah's teachings?) to having an epiphanal moment this morning (it's five in the afternoon) about Joshua, son of Nun, this experience is one that'll catch in the archives of my sticky brain. Did you know that Joshua, son of Nun is the same Joshua that:

1. led the Israelites into battle while Moses held is rod in the sky?
2. was 1 of 2 spies out of the 12 sent to bring a report on people living in the promised land, that came back with a positive faithful answer.
3. went up to Mt. Sinai the first time with Moses (the first 40 day one)4. was present when Moses saw God face-to-face (Exodus 33:11)
4. "fit the battle of Jericho"
5. 5 kings, destroy-all-except-those-that-submit-themselves-as-slaves, Gibeonites, stopped sun, stopped moon, hale storm sound familiar?

ReAlLy! He's pretty amazing. And then to have the mantle passed to him and become a great commander/prophet is so... he seems like he really filled that potential that God had for him. It's funny, I've been studying the Bible for years but never very deep. Now however, being able to sudy and make these correlations - it made me so excited and energized because of the pieces that were fitting together that I never knew were puzzle pieces. I memorized the scripture Exodus 33:11 - face-to-face - back in seminary... sophmore year of high school? and I never knew why it stated "son of Nun" - it seemed superflous to me, unnecessary. NoW - wOw, it was there so we could make these correlations! The Bible is a book written by men inspired by God. ====================================================================

The experiences here are just getting better and better! I fear the "square wheels" on the overnight train ride in Egypt, but overall our safety is being watched and cared for by very attentive people. I think I might want to take up a career in spulunking after going through Micah's Caves yesterday on our geography field trip - so much like a big kid's playground "Mcdonald's Galore". The border closed yesterday? between the east and the west and the only problem that affected us was that we had class cancelled (Dr. Musallum teaches at Bethlehem University). I've got a few more hours to study hard, catch up, eat, and go to the celebrations in West Jerusalem so I'll adieu.

1 comment:

Emily said...

So, you asked me what you should make sure and see while there...ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING! Take advantage of every moment and do all you can. I'm so envious you're there--it's such an amazing experience. Have fun! You're testimoney will grow tremendously...keep a journal so you can remember the feelings while in the places you visit.

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out" - Louis Armstrong