Saturday, November 15, 2008

dating, breaking feet, and social library interactions

So, I realized I hadn't written anything in... a number of months? I decided before I go on my date today to try and catch things up.

First thing is first - school is going great. It's rather hectic with the various classes. I still think that my Music 301 class is pretty much pointless but am trying to ignore this fact. Although my Doctrine and Covenants class causes lack of sleep - I still love the class along with my teacher, Alonzo Gaskill. I finished one composition for my theory class and have only one remaining before the end of semester. I... have to pass out of my piano class because I relied too heavily on what little skill I have on the piano (bad idea!). Needless to say, my piano class is one of the most frustrating at the time. However, with all that said, classes are going well and I am sooooo happy that it hasn't snowed horribly yet because that means a few more days of great, enjoyable warmth.

Secondly, I have my reasons for not liking the snow at the moment because I don't get to enjoy it in any normal way. I broke my foot walking down stairs, no good fall, no good story, simply walking down the stairs, rolling my foot, and realizing after I heard a pop that I wasn't going to be able to walk this rolled foot pain off. Snow and ice are phobias currently, can only imagine what... amusement I could have trying to walk uphill with my booted foot and iffy balance with ice. Although I have nightmares for the day it snows and ices here in Utah, I have found great benefits to having a broken foot (yes, it actually broke - the 5th and possibly 4th metatarcel). The first is that I have a number of really cute boys thinking me a damsel in distress. Now, I have too much pride to concede to too many chivalrous acts but as for driving me to school, carrying my book bags when I was on crutches for the last two weeks (I am officially finally off crutches!), occassional piggy back rides up and down stairs where there are no elevators... quite the positive consequences to a broken foot! Oh, and I also received a temporary handicap parking pass on campus which is such a relief and dare I say, way to spoil myself?

Now that my health and school has been covered, the love life. Of course that's always something interesting. I found the key to excessively dating this past month. It takes a month in prepping the area but afterwards, two to three dates a weekend! Study in the library every night till midnight, work every other day, and of course be nice (as usual) to those you interact with daily in school. Now, the common man would think this would afford no social life. However, with this simple formula I was asked on FIVE dates! for this Friday (yesterday) and Saturday (today) night. Don't ask me how, I actually have no clue how I've been dating so much this semester. Truthfully, I've been avoiding trying to date and more focusing on things in school. Turns out I have a number of people who love me, think that I would get along great with another friend they love and so I've been set up on numerous first dates this semester. With all that said though, I commend my roommate (engaged) Jessi who definitely set me up with a keeper. He can be more shy and reserved in some social settings but is one of the funniest people that I can genuinely laugh WITH when he's in the zone. Of course he's tall, dark, and handsome. Well... he's not extremely tall and he's blonde... but he's handsome for sure, with a very dear smile (the smile is what gets me because it shows how much a person can laugh, how dear they can be, and how happy as an individual they really are). Bryce is pretty much amazing (texan!) and it's always fun to go out with him doing new things each time (but of course my favorite is the studying in the library j/k!). I do appreciate all the close friendships I've formed this semester though with my close family friend Nelson and a dear friend who happens to now be in my home stake, Jonathan.

With all that said, I am trying to no do too many stupid things (no worries, the triathlon I about signed up for, I decided to drop due to my sadly broken appendage). I'm eating my veggies (actually, spaghetti squash is really good and with a few other ingredients very tasty). I'm sleeping more than normal at least these past two weeks - I blame that one on my foot draining me of all energy but I don't think Dad or Mom really care what I blame getting more sleep on as long as I do. I'm saying my pleases and thank yous (especially to Heavenly Father for keeping me healthy, happy, and sane). I've been trying to think of ways to make this year of my life really memorable (not in a stupid sense) because of the example Tannon had become when he was 20 years old. After pondering and trying various things, I think I figured out that for me to make this year very impressionable on myself and others is by having a passion for people. I developed this while ini Jerusalem, I'm just learning how to slightly alter it to fit the area that I live in now and yet find so many rewarding benefits from it. I've had such great examples lately and from talking to some of them, they have been able to gain something from me as well. It's been stronglt iterated to me that no matter what we do, we affect those around us. If I sit on a bench and shake my foot, even if it is subconciously that I tap my foot, I affect those that sit next to me with my jitteriness. Even the smallest action has some form of reprecussive events on those around us. Life is really interesting and truly a puzzling wonder sometimes.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Miss Nicki Martino, I ran into your blog while searching for Mary's and just wanted to let you know that you are wonderful! You do a lot in your life! Work hard, play hard, and always have time to serve those around you. You have been a good example to me since I met you and I just wanted to thank you for that! Good luck with your poor broken appendage. I hope it heals quickly! Keep up the good work in all that you do! You are amazing!

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out" - Louis Armstrong