Saturday, May 30, 2009

Effort versus skill

I must admit... I'm addicted to Special Olympics! Back when I was a swim instructor I got to teach a little boy with down syndrome how to swim. Those were some of my happiest summer afternoons. Now, here in Provo, on a beautifully, sunny Saturday, I got to volunteer at the local Special Olympics (thank you Greta!). There's such a sense of unity and loving bond at the Games that I wish we would take more of this edge with us in regular track&field, soccer, softball events. It's all about the love of the game and not the winning or losing, right? These blessed souls understand that whereas we who don't have any form of physical or mental handicap or in turn impaired by our normalcy. I learn so much from these type of people (swimming with them, working with them, volunteering with them) and they remind me how we really are sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father. If I could have it my way, I'd volunteer every month for this great event. If anyone knows of any in the Utah for June (again) or Texas for July, could you let me know? I've been looking but haven't been able to find anything - if anyone hears rumor of one round about, please let me know!

No comments:

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out" - Louis Armstrong